Tips on cleaning out your closets.
Cleaning and organizing your closets can be exciting, relieving and stressful.
Do you spend time each morning rummaging through your closets?
Be prepared cleaning out your closet can be an emotional process. Some people have an attachment to clothing. Remember if the clothing makes you feel bad or guilty get rid of it. Remember we have closets all throughout our house. That hallway closet, the extra room, the upstairs and the pantry.
If it’s clothing try on everything. Look in the mirror. Breathe and look again. If you love it, keep it, if you don’t then get rid of it. This can help clean up your life. If you need more space don’t move to a bigger house, own less stuff. Are you ready to make a plan?
Tips on Cleaning out your closet.
- Make a date.
Set a goal to get organized and mark it on your calendar.
- Set up your favorite music.
Find your happy songs on your playlist.
- Take everything out of your closet and put it on your bed. This may seem overwhelming, but try to see the end goal of organization. If this is a pantry put the items on the table.
- Try on the clothing if it doesn’t fit it get rid of it. This step takes the longest but is necessary for you to see how much clothing you do not need. Look in the mirror. Breathe. If you are cleaning the hallway or the laundry room. Ask yourself do I really need this item.
- Ask yourself have I worn this clothing in the past 6 months. If you don’t reach for this item to wear what makes you think you might wear it again. Have I used this item in the past several months or is it just taking up space?
- Is this item in style? Ask yourself if you would buy this item today on a shopping trip?
- Do I feel good when I wear this item? Does this item make me confident?
- Put items into categories Sell, Donate , Trash. Miscellaneous items count too. Test is this useful?
- Take a break. Breathe. Let it go. Inhale. Exhale. Drink some water and eat a snack.
- Organize your closet the way it makes sense to you. Do you need shelves? Do you need a shoe holder? Do you need bins? Think about what kind of hangers you want? How much storage do you need for seasonal items?
- Check with your local charity to donate your items. They are often non profits and will give you a tax donation letter. Or call your friends and family to sort through if they might. Organizing your stuff can bring new energy to this space.
- Throw out the trash or recycle and repurpose. Old T-shirts make great rags.
- Have a garage sale or sell online local facebook groups are great for this. Make money to save for your favorite things. A local overnight trip or a date with your loved one.
- Be mindful and reflect on decluttering your life. Letting go is a process.
- This may be an emotional process be prepared.
Remember be thankful for what you have and remind yourself it is enough. Enjoy the new energy of your new space. You can start your day with a positive feeling.
Learn how to design a beautiful reach-in closet with EasyClosets
5% off EasyClosets + Free Shipping with code CLOSETS165
These items have great reviews on amazon.
Full Disclosure Amazon & EasyCloset are affiliate links.